Monday, July 7, 2008

Scrap Useage

I have started to make inroads on the scrap collection. I've made this quilt top using crumb blocks which I cut to 4 1/2" and put in an attic window setting:
The quilt is quite large, 1.5 metres by 2 metres, and has 140 blocks (10 blocks by 14). I'm calling it "Night Metropolis". It is school holidays right now and I am going out to my good friend Janice's tomorrow. I will start quilting it on her Juki and Swiftquilter. I had better have a good think about how I want to quilt it in the next 12 hours.

I found the crumb blocks really relaxing to make and quite addictive. Sadly, the scrap collection doesn't look any smaller! I think I've got enough scraps to make about a million crumb blocks.

14 comments:

Janice said...

Isn't that funny - that quilt looks quite different in a photo to what it does in reality. Its very attractive either way!

Unknown said...

I hadn't heard the phrase crumb block before but I like it. maybe you could put some crumbs on a bird table at your guild and see what greedy gannets swoop down to relieve you of them?!

Rose Marie said...

Love the setting you used for this scrap quilt and it is time for me to do something with my scraps too.

sewkalico said...

Wonderful! I have been meaning to make crumb blocks, but of course there's all those other things I also keep meaning to do LOL

Elaine Adair said...

How amazing this is with the 'unique' setting Attic Windows. It's always so interesting to see how a 'regular' block turns out in a new setting. What a great use of your scraps!

loulee said...

I like Helens idea for the bird table. LOL

'Night Metropolis', the perfect name. The window settings really bring a sense of order.

loulee said...

I like Helens idea for the bird table. LOL

'Night Metropolis', the perfect name. The window settings really bring a sense of order.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Great use of your scraps - yup, you absolutely have to keep saving them!!!

Cheers!
Evelyn

Anonymous said...

Wonderful quilt, Helen! That's the most 3D looking attic windows I've ever seen!

dot said...

what a wonderful quilt.

Shelina said...

When I first started, I was afraid I would never amass enough scraps to make a quilt. Things have changed a bit since then. :-)
That is a lovely quilt - I like the fun fabric finds - the house and the horse, etc. The attic windows setting is inspired!

meggie said...

That quilt is just lovely. Perfect way to use the scraps!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

Really inspiring way to use scraps.

Kim said...

This quilt is stunning! Well done!!