I have finally got a little sewing done. I am such an organised person (sometimes - see previous post on the state of my sewing area!) that I have all my scraps pre-cut into different widths from 1" up. These have been annoying me lately as I now want to organise my scraps by colour instead of size. I've been inspired by the heart string blocks everyone is making over on the Quilt Mavericks blog, so I have decided to make up the 3 narrowest widths (1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2") into string blocks using a 1" finished strip of black across the centre:
I'm quite pleased with how they look considering a lot of these scraps are from when I first started quilting (way, way back) and a lot of them are dullish country type colours. I used to buy scrap bags before I got sensible and bought lengths (yardage to you USA quilters) and some of these scraps date back over 25 years!.
These blocks are just stuck on my design wall at the moment, not yet sewn together. I am cutting them 8 inches 'cos that is the size of my square rule, so they will end up as 7 1/2 " finished. An odd size but I guess it doesn't matter with this type of block. (why the square ruler is not 8 1/2" I will never know!). I have made 12 and I guess I will need about 64 to make a decent sized quilt, so I am 20% there.