Monday, June 25, 2007

Look What I've Got!

My very friendly sewing machine mechanic found this to fit my 1963 Singer 201:
It's a walking foot! Who would have thought that a walking foot was available to fit a machine this old!! I certainly didn't but it works a treat and has made my quilting life a whole lot easier - thanks Hugh! You know my Elna died and I haven't got it fixed yet. In between deciding what to do about it the place where I was going to send it closed and all Elna business in New Zealand has been taken over by Janome. The Elna machines have been produced by the Janome factory for a long time but the businesses were still separate. At least know when I decide I can afford to get it fixed I can take into my local Janome shop and they will send it away!! In the meantime I can sew a seam, quilt with a walking foot and free-motion quilt. No fancy stitches though! A friend has loaned me her spare machine so at least I can do zigzag on that.

Sewing wise I haven't done much after the coffee moment of last week, except I have finished sewing the vine onto the second border of the raffle quilt for Cotton On Quilters. Frances finished the second corner block. Progress photos are here.

4 comments:

meggie said...

Hi Helen, missed you!
I have a walking foot I use on my Janome & it looks just like that one.
A shame about you Elna/
Love those applique vines, & corner blocks.

Anonymous said...

Dedication! I love my 201 for free motion embroidery, but it had never occurred to me to seek out a walking foot for it! Good to know it's doable...

Tanya said...

I've never used a walking foot and haven't figured out how to go about buying one (I'm in Japan remember) and wondering if I'd really use it even if I had it. What do you use your walking foot for mostly? Is it really a must as some people claim?

Unknown said...

I don't even know what a walking foot DOES.